Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Getting My Priorities Straight



I’m going to teach a Vision Board Class soon so I decided it was time to build a new vision board. The one adorning my office wall right now is at least 3 years old. I look at it and see lots of pieces that have come to fruition and others that I realize I didn’t really care to pursue.  For those of you who don’t know what a vision board is, it’s a collage of pictures from magazines, photos, greeting cards and sayings that represent what you want in your life. Since our desires change, it’s good to build a new vision board every few years.

Before starting to find content for my vision board, I spend a few sessions of morning pages (journaling) writing about what it was that I want to achieve in the next few years. I wrote pages about my aspirations, my desires, and what wasn’t working as well as what seemed to be. Then from those writings I built myself a list of 10 specific areas that I want to work on: my art, my health and exercise, diet, spirituality, travel, money/career, etc. My last vision board was too expansive and I realized later, that there were some images on the board that didn’t fit my goals and desires. This time I’m going to focus on just those 10 areas and see where it takes me. From my ten items, I also developed a series of affirmations to repeat when I’m swimming (You know how boring swimming gets. Affirmations help!) and mowing the lawn. I also say these affirmations the moment I wake up and the last thing before I go to sleep.

Through this whole process, I kept resonating with the concept that my goals are created with time. Time is so precious and yet, we are a society that wastes it. We spend our lives at jobs that make us money and deplete the short time given to us in this lifetime. So as I work on my visions, desires and goals from my vision board, I will keep in mind that my time is very valuable and I will waste less of it on matters that don’t feed my heart and soul. I’m getting my priorities in line for the next few years so I can really focus on what is important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment